Friday, January 1, 2016

Personal Paganism

I don't practice a great deal of formal ritual. It seems I'm always meaning to do a little rite or some spellwork at the full moon, but most often it ends up being no more than a thoughtful gaze into its face, its position in the sky.

I found this on Pinterest a while ago (a phrase I use embarrassingly often). I've found it an excellent guide to both understanding the concept of magic and the steps required to manifest it. It's psychology - how to turn belief into reality.




It's in the everyday that ritual becomes a habit, and it's this that I want to work on this year. Magic, spellwork: these aren't particularly mystical things, in my view. It's simply an effort to focus the power of one's own will and the energy of natural objects to bring a desire to fruition.

I suppose that concept is mystical, actually. At the heart of my paganism is the belief that the world itself is a divine thing, alive in its own right. The creatures we share it with, the plants, the very stones that comprise the land we live on, are alight with their own energy.

Over thousands of years, people of all cultures have learned the physical properties of the natural world; but in addition, we have seen the symbolism of objects and plants as well. Spellwork is simply the manifestation of these beliefs, the attempt to bring them to the forefront.

Bringing this into daily life usually ends up being something I do outside. One little spell I like to do is when taking a walk: pick up a leaf, hold it in my palm as I think about something I want to happen, and toss it into a stream or into the air, sending that energy and intention for my need into the world.

I am a fairly avid cook, and I mean to incorporate more magical intention in my cooking. The selection and preparation of ingredients, the thoughtful consideration of herbs, the careful use of fire and water in the cooking process, are magic in themselves. It's all about intention.


No comments:

Post a Comment